Let’s face it, one of the reasons you have a blog is to get your message out to as many people you can who share the same interests. Doesn’t it make sense then to use other social media tools to drive people to your site and increase engagement?
I recently read a guest post in ProBlogger by David Cowling, that outlines some great ways to capitalize on other social media outlets. Here are some highlights:
- Promote your RSS feed – increases visitors and can result in back-links to your blog which result in better search engine rankings.
- SEO your social media profiles – This is a fairly new idea, but one that intrigues me. Facebook – about box is seen by search engines so make products specific if you’re selling something. If you have several Fan pages, link them together.Twitter profile – your user name becomes the title tag on your page. LinkedIn – your name, headline, current location and industry are placed in a meta description tag.
- Use social groups to promote your topics – Create groups and discussions on both LinkedIn and Facebook. If you belong to groups, promote them there as well as create your own group.
Other questions you should be asking yourself:
- What networks send you the most traffic as a blogger?
- What percentage of your traffic comes from these networks?
- What’s been your most shared article and what can you learn form this?