From a B-to-B perspective, LinkedIn is one of the better networking tools. I like it because it’s strictly for business. You can also join groups that focus on various industries or topics. As you build your network, it’s important to know the do’s and don’ts.
I recently read an article by Melonie Dodaro in Social Media Examiner, 6 Ways to Grow Your LinkedIn Connections, that give you some practical tips on growing your connections. Here are some highlights:
- Profile image – make sure you have a good, professional shot. Remember this is their first impression of you and you only get one chance.
- Keyword optimization – keep it to 3-4 top words you want to be associated with. Don’t stuff your keywords or people will pass you by.
- Personalize your connection request – let them know how you got their name. Whether it was from a common business associate, a group you both belong to, or maybe they do a blog that you follow.
- Ask for endorsements – From people you know, don’t be afraid to ask. If they know, like and trust you, they would be happy to do you a favor. You should also reciprocate and endorse skills of folks you know.
- Treat recommendations like references – you want to be sure those who are recommending you have a good reputation. Rule of thumb, never accept a recommendation from someone you don’t know.
Hopefully these tips will help you grow within LinkedIn.Share this: