One of the challenges of social media is to get people engaged. Many are what I call lurkers who read what you post, have some opinion on it, but for some reason are afraid to jump in and give their two cents.
I don’t know what they are afraid of as we are here because we want to engage in discussions, so please jump in! I recently read a great article by Heidi Cohen from Riverside Marketing Strategies called 10 Tips for Social Media Introverts that outlined 10 tips for those on the sidelines to jump in. Here are some highlights:
- Decide how you want to position yourself on the platforms you decide to participate in.
- Stake out your name on those platforms and determine how you will set yourself apart.
- Participate in activities like Twitter-Chats and on LinkenIn groups.
- Share your knowledge, after all that’s why folks are on these sites in the first place.
- Look at the big picture. You certainly don’t have all the answers, so when you read a good post from someone else, pay it forward by Tweeting about it or linking to it in one of your posts.
Social media isn’t going away, so you’re better off accepting that fact and jumping in. I promise we won’t bite.Share this: