Why promote your blog? Just because you write the most provocative post, it doesn’t mean the world at large will know it’s even out there. Yet by using the right key words and phrases, you’ll get organic action from the search engines, and if you spend a little more time being proactive, you’ll see even better results.
Here are 5 quick tips to help promote your posts:
- Email Signatures. Add a link to your blog especially of recent posts. Have you ever thought of how many e-mails you send out a day (not to mention all the other people at your company)? What a great way to let people know you have a blog. Most of your correspondence is either going to customers, prospects or vendors, all of which should have a vested interest in your topics.
- Social Networking. Hopefully you belong to Facebook, Twitter, etc. Leverage these by promoting your posts. The object is to have your friends and followers spread the good news. The key is to give them something worth sharing!
- Internal Links. Sometimes we’re so focused on promoting our posts on other sites that we lose site of the most obvious place to be linked internally. Hopefully you’ve written content on a similar topic or market before, so add a link. It keeps people on your site longer and helps build your credibility as an expert. I have all my posts broken into 3 categories: Trends, Tools and Tips and link back appropriately.
- E-newsletters. If you have a list, send out an e-mail promoting some of your key posts. If you don’t have a list, start one as that’s blogging 101.
- Pitch Other Bloggers. This is an important one, but not so easy to accomplish. Like anything else, you need to establish a relationship with other bloggers. Read their stuff to make sure you’re compatible. Make comments on their posts. Link back to some of their posts when appropriate. Blogging is like any other referral network. People need to know, like and trust you before they recommend you. And when you think you’re ready, suggest versus ask them to consider linking.
Daren Rowse provides additional insights to promoting your post that you might find helpful: 11 ways to increase your chances of being linked to by a blogger.