When you have lemons, make lemonade! I know most of the manufacturers that read me regularly pulled in their horns last year to ride out the uncertainty. There are a few, though, that have continued on and have made an impact on both the economy and their bottom line.
I’ve been trying to showcase some of these leaders over the past several months, and here is another one. Molex (Disclaimer: they are a client of ours), through its Woodhead brand, offers the broadest range of code-compliant electrical products designed to perform in harsh environments.
When the Government last year introduced the (ARRA) American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to focus on rebuilding roads, bridges and other infrastructures of the country, Molex came out with their own program, Rebuilding America Together. The target audiences were distributors and contractors in the commercial construction and utilities industries.
Their integrated plan included :
- Special distributor packages – five special priced packages with incentives
- Microsite– which was the hub for all information and activities
- Ad campaign – both print and digital
- PR campaign – which included developing a new section in a major Electrical Contractor book called “Recharging The Industry”
- Special end-user promotions – including an American Flag with every package purchased
- Safety roadshow and training seminar
The good news is that they had the insight to do something when everything was tanking. The better news is it’s working. It created buzz at the distributor level and gave them something to talk about with the contractors. It gave the contractors incentives as well as fostering a theme of patriotism. It gave Molex increased sales.
That’s one more example of someone doing it right. I’d love to hear from you if you have other examples.