By John Sonnhalter, Rainmaker Journeyman at Sonnhalter
Everyone is getting better at resisting all the interruption-driven ads and promotions. Your customers are taking control of what they want to read or look at.
So what’s the answer? Quit selling and start giving them what they want (helpful content), where they want it and when they want it.
I recently read a post by George Stenitzer on Content Marketing Institute that talked about when more people are saying no to ads, what options do we have to get your message in front of them?
He cites some amazing stats:
- Mobile has taken over as the first screen to view content
- Over 50% of Americans record TV shows and don’t watch commercials
- 91% of consumers unsubscribe or unlike brands for which they once opted in for
George gives us some helpful ways to make sure your content is seen and read.
- Permission is golden – If someone allows us to share info with them, make sure you give them good relevant content (it’s not about you).
- Give them what they want – A small percentage of your content will outperform the rest. Use your analytics to give them more of the same.
- Earn their attention in 7 seconds (23 words) – In the battle for attention, you need to answer the question quickly of what’s in it for them. Use images where possible.
- Keep customer info up to date – If you’re trying to be more personal and have the wrong info, you’ve lost the battle before it started.
These tips are not earth shattering, but a good reminder of what sets good content apart from the other self promotions.