I recently did a series of interviews and podcasts of contractors. The main focus was on what manufacturers could do to better support them in the field. These contractors were electricians, plumbers, HVAC and general contractors. There were some common issues from them that I thought would be useful to manufacturers:
- Quick response to questions – access to knowledgeable tech people for problem solving.
- Regular site visits – have your salesman make regular visits. Most contractors say they very rarely see the manufacturers. Great way to build relationships and identify possible product problems or shortcomings.
- Application training – quick tips on doing a process better/quicker. If not in person, via email.
- Best way to communicate with them – mobile phone or email.
- Don’t use/look at social media (Twitter, Facebook).
- Recognize that they are professionals.
It looks like there are some opportunities for manufacturers to up their game. There wasn’t a contractor I talked to that would turn away a visit from you. That sounds like an opportunity to me.